WIN £5000 CASH, £2000 OF SUPPLEMENTS & BECOME A USN AMBASSADOR
The USN Body Makeover Challenge is a competition that our Nutrition partners USN run to help individuals on their way to self-improvement and to transform their bodies. There are some incredible prizes to reward those who have made the greatest changes over 12 weeks.
If you want to sign up to the USN Body Makeover Challenge and be in with a chance of winning £5000 cash, £2000 of USN products and the chance to become a USN Ambassador, visit the their website.
You can win one of three USN Body Makeover Starter Packs, by entering our January Competition.
To assist anyone who's taking on the Challenge we've asked our Expert Sports Scientist and Personal Trainer, Alex Graham, to compose a diet and training programme to change your body shape in just 12 weeks.
12 Week Body Transformation
This is going to be a 12 weeks intervention which will guide you through 3 stages lasting 4 weeks each. This is a multi dimensional approach to achieving lasting control and manipulation of body composition. It's also a great introduction to intermittent fasting.
Before You Start
At the start of the program I recommend that you have a weigh in and measurement session, this will act as a base line from which we will compare any changes over the course of the 6 weeks. The core of the plan is dietary changes over the 12 weeks and this is matched to the exercise intensity and type. If you are already happy with the training you do then stick with it but try to take on board the concepts of matching types and timings of carbohydrates to the intensities and length of exercise sessions.
Over the 12 Weeks
It will get harder as we progress, it will require some mental fortitude and discipline. Another outcome that I hope you take away with you is a greater understanding of what happens when you eat certain foods. This will allow you to manipulate your diet to maintain desirable body composition without completely removing all the foods that you like.
Stage 1 (Weeks 1-4)
- Remove carbs from breakfast (yes that means toast, cereals, and any beloved ‘healthy’ fruit juices)
- Strip out all forms of added sugar and processed food (from things like breakfast cereals Jam, any added sugar if you have it with coffee or tea, any accompanying biscuits, deserts, sugary snacks, generally most sweet things and honey.
- Start having only clean foods (see food list, if its not on the list it isn’t invited to the party)
- Weigh the carbohydrates you have so that you get an idea of what volume of food represents a certain amount of calories.
- Reduce alcohol to weekends
- Cut out any milky coffee or teas (black, green or herbal are ok)
- Cut out caffeine sources after 2pm
Stage 2 (Weeks 5-8)
- Introduce Intermittent Fasting (covered in Part 2 of this series)
- Push carbs to the evening meal
- Cut out fruit and dairy during the day (one portion of both is ok in the evening meal)
- Cut out morning snacks generally
- Aim to combine the following foods only- carbs and protein OR protein and fat
- Aim to perform 1-2 resistance/weighted circuits sessions and 2-3 lower intensity e.g. Pilates and Yoga session
- Increase walking and general activity 20-30mins 3-5 times a week, get it done in the morning before you eat, preferably on the days you fast, follow this with some BCAAs
Stage 3 (Weeks 9-12)
- Increase the amount of intermittent fasting
- Low carb (1 portion or less) on resistance exercise days, for dinner only
- Zero carbs on all other days
- Increase portions of fat and protein per meal and snacks (see lists)
- Reduce intensity of other cardio
- Increase walking 45-1hr, 3-5 times a week, preferably in the morning
Over the course of this 12 Week Programme we will share the following 6 articles;